Translate

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book review- Divergent

If you follow me on Google+, you may have seen this funny stroke of luck. (And these posts came within a few hours of each other, too!)


And from that moment on, I read Divergent basically nonstop. I finished it in about 2 days (though part of that was because I stayed up late to read it. I just had to know what happened!) So, while I wait for the next one to be available (I'm only a hundred-something on the wait-list for that one), here's my book review for #reviewsdaytuesday.
I'm sure many of you have read a story set in a dystopian society (for example, the Hunger Games). Veronica Roth does a particularly good job of writing one. 
The basic premise is that a long time ago, society was divided into 5 different factions: Abnegation, the selfless; Amity, the friendly; Candor, the truthful; Dauntless, the brave; and Erudite, the intelligent. People who don't fit into more than one group are called Divergent and are considered highly dangerous.

This book is really great at providing a story that is not only interesting and exciting, but also thought provoking. As we see that the factions have become corrupted over time (it is a dystopia, after all), the book makes you wonder if it's really wise to devote your life to one certain characteristic or quality. After reading this, I think we need to be a little bit of all the factions. We need to be Divergent. And maybe that's dangerous, but making a choice to be different like that is selfless, peaceful, honest, brave, and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment