Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fandom School (2nd period): Types of Ships

So hopefully, you've already seen my page about ships (if you haven't, I suggest you check it out now).

That's just scratching the surface, though. There are lots of types of ships. As explained by tumblr, they are:
Let's go through each of them (except for the last one, because I don't know much about Supernatural)

  • Ship: already defined in this page
  • Canon ship: ship that is clearly shown in the show/movie/book (see this post about canon)
  • Non-canon ship: a ship that is not canon, but that the shipper wishes was canon
  • Crack ship: a random, strange ship, because the members of the ship are very different and/or have not even met in canon
  • Joke ship: a pretend ship that the shipper thinks is amusing
  • OTP: short for One True Pairing, a fangirl/fanboy's ultimate (i.e., favorite) ship

Let's examine my ships to see which ones are which types.

  • 9th Doctor/Rose: just a typical ship, it's not quite canon, but it could be interpreted that way
  • Captain Jack Harkness/Anyone: joke ship, because it's a running joke in the Doctor Who fandom that if Jack even says hello, he's flirting
  • 10th Doctor/Rose: canon ship, because this one is pretty clearly canon
  • Mickey/Martha (M&M): canon ship... maybe? We see them together for like, a few seconds, when the Tenth Doctor goes to get his reward.
  • Amy/Rory: definitely a canon ship
  • 11th Doctor/River (Elever): again, a clear canon ship
  • 11th Doctor/Clara (Whouffle): non-canon ship (thankfully this is only a tentative ship for me, as I like Elever better)
  • John/Sherlock (Johnlock): non-canon ship, though some say it's there in canon if you pay close attention (again, this is a tentative ship)
  • Sherlock/Molly (Sherlolly): clearly a non-canon ship (and a tentative ship for me)
  • Gwen/Arthur (Arwen): very clearly a canon ship
  • Merlin/Freya: another canon ship, though it doesn't get as much screen time as I'd like
  • Merlin/Arthur (Merthur): non-canon ship
But which one is my OTP? Um... it's so hard to pick!!! I think I'll go with Elever, but it's really hard to decide.

And it looks like I don't have any crack ships, so I need to come up with one for an example...
Let's go with the Daleks/R2D2 and the Cybermen/C3PO, because why not? You see that both of those are pretty crazy ships that would never ever become canon. And that's kind of the point of a crack ship.

So that's all the different ships. (Update: I found this helpful page that includes a whole lot of shipping types/terms that I haven't even covered, so if you want more, check it out.) What are your ships?

No comments:

Post a Comment