Translate

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fandom School (4th period): Types of Fanfiction

So, I kind of had a month long hiatus there. Sorry about that! I've been really busy. Anyway, now that I've got a little free time, I bring you the next installment of Fandom School. A while ago, I discussed fanfiction (to see my post, click here. To read my fanfiction, click here or here.) Now, I'm returning to that topic to talk about the different types of fanfiction you might encounter.

AU (Alternate Universe): a fanfic that is clearly not canon. AU fanfics change major plot points, imagining what it would be like if x hadn't happened, or if y had happened earlier, etc.
Example: Together Or Not At All

Crack Fic: a totally weird, crazy fanfiction. These can be so ridiculous they're good, or they can just be stupid. You get a lot of variety in this category, but if written well, a crack fic is very entertaining.
Example: Warning: Contains Crack (not my fanfic)

Crossover: a fanfic that combines two or more fandoms.
Example: When Justice Is Treason

Drabble: a really short fanfic, just a brief story or idea.
Example: The Right TARDIS

Ficlet: like a drabble, but a bit longer. May be multi-chapter.

Gen Fic: this is your typical story, nothing special about it except that it's fanfiction and not an original work. Unlike many fanfictions, gen fanfics don't focus on a specific pairing (there may still be one or more pairings in the story, they just aren't the main focus)
Example: Who Am I

Lemons and Limes: stories with no plot or purpose except for the main characters to have sex. Lemons are explicit, while limes are more subtle. (Don't ask me why they're called lemons and limes, I have no idea.)
Example: I'm not giving one. I don't read that kind of thing.

MST: commentary on another fanfic or episode. I don't know if this exactly counts as fanfic, but it's worth mentioning.
Example: I don't know of a good example, but you're welcome to comment and supply me with an example.

Next Gen Fic: a story that takes place one or more generations after the main story. May have canon characters, but may also include OCs (original characters).
Example: The Sorting Hat (not my fanfic)

OC Fic: a fanfic that is based mainly on an OC (original character), focusing more on them than on the original characters. It may include canonical characters, or it may just be set in the canonical universe. (Or it could be noncanon.)
Example: Bigger On The Inside (not my fanfic. I don't know if it's the best example, but it's what I found.)

Original Flavor: a fanfic that is not clearly noncanon and could reasonably have occurred in the universe of the fandom it is written for. Think of it as a behind-the-scenes story, talking about something that could have been an episode (or a book or movie, as the case may be).
Example: Shakespeare's Letter

Oneshot: a short, one chapter fanfic. Usually one scene. Also usually shorter than a drabble.

Reader Insert: a fanfic written in the second person, so the reader can put themselves into the story.
Example: Hello dear brother (not my fanfic)

Slash Fic: a fanfic based on an uncanonical homosexual pairing. Usually, it doesn't have much of a plot.
Example: I don't read that kind of thing, so I don't have an example.

Another thing worth noting is that fanfictions come in a few different formats:

Prose: normal writing. Most fanfictions are prose.
Example: A Detective Without His Deductions

Poetry: poetry instead of normal writing. It doesn't have to rhyme.
Example: If Daleks Were Poets

RPF (Real-person fic): story involving real people (or, to be accurate, fictional characters based on real people. See real-life shipping.)
Example: The Big Reveal (not my fanfic)

Script: written like an actual episode/movie.
Example: Mirror Mirror on the Wall (not my fanfic)

And that's all for now. Sorry for leaving you for so long. I'll try to write another post soon instead of not writing for a long time. That's all for now. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment