Translate

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Once And Future Time Lord (Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 7

You get a bonus today: two posts! Except that I forgot to post yesterday... anyway, here's the next chapter.
Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

"Gwen?"
"Yes, Arthur?"
"Suppose a... um... ruler discovered a secret that he really wants to share with everyone, but to do so and be accepted, he'd have to... well... abolish an established, respected law. What do you think that ruler should do?"
"Oh Arthur, what have you gotten in yourself into now?" Arthur sighed. He should have known Gwen wouldn't fall for his trick. She'd have to be an idiot, and he had definitely not married an idiot. If he'd wanted that, he could have married Merlin (well, except for the fact that gay marriage was illegal in Camelot). 
"It's... complicated. I'd rather not say just yet. What's your advice?"
"Well, what's the law?" Arthur hesitated, but then he decided he could trust Gwen. If he couldn't trust his Queen, who could he trust?
"It's... the law against magic."
"You're not..."
"No. I don't know anyone, either. Like I said, it's complicated. What do you think?"
"Well, I would say change the law, though that's mostly on account of my father." Arthur nodded. They never spoke of her father often, as it was a rather delicate subject. 
"It would certainly be good for Camelot to avoid persecution. Perhaps I could change the ban on magic to laws governing its use." Gwen nodded. "I'm going to go talk to my knights."
"Good luck!" Gwen said, kissing Arthur on the cheek as he left. 
•••••••
"So, you're probably wondering why I've gathered all of you here together."
"It's because you love seeing our handsome faces," Gwaine suggested, earning some laughs from the knights. 
"Very funny, Gwaine, but I have a better reason than that. I'm thinking about changing one of Camelot's laws, and I'd like to ask your advice." The knights stared at Arthur in shock. Though the king had power to make or abolish laws, no laws had been made in decades, and no king had done so a week into their reign. It was Sir Leon who spoke first. 
"Which law would you change, your highness?"
"The law banning magic." The knights' eyes widened further, and their jaws dropped. This was an impossibly radical proposal. 
"What would you change?" Sir Elyan asked. 
"I would lift the ban, and replace it with a strict set of rules governing the use of magic. Perhaps it would be best to start by allowing magic to be used for healing only." The knights considered this for a moment. "I don't need anyone's approval to change a law, but I'd like to know if I have your support. Do I?"

Percival was the first to answer. "You have my support." Sir Leon raised his hand. 
"And mine."
"And mine," Sir Kay said. Slowly, all the nights of Camelot raised their hands and expressed their support. 
"Well then, gentlemen, I believe I have some law-writing to do." Arthur walked back to his room and set to work. 
•••••••
"Merlin?"
"Yes, Arthur?"
"Can you bring Gwen in to read this?"
"I can read, you know."
"Yes, Merlin, I'm aware of that. I want my Queen's support in the law I'm about to pass. I suppose you can read it, too, but don't think that you'll get any input." Merlin sighed and brought in Gwen. To save Merlin the time, she read the document aloud. 

"It came to pass during the reign of Uther Pendragon that magic was banished in Camelot on penalty of death. Now, times have changed, and by decree of King Arthur Pendragon, the ban on magic is lifted. However, because magic is dangerous, it is not as yet allowed to be practiced freely. Set forth in these documents are the conditions in which magic may be used:
1) To avoid death, illness, injury, property damage, etc. 
2) To heal someone who is already ill or injured. Only healing methods that can be reasonably expected to be effective may be used, unless the patient is dying, in which case any magic that might heal the patient may be used. 
3) To defeat enemies of Camelot who are fighting citizens of Camelot with magic. 
4) Any other situations in which a person wishes to use magic must be discussed with the king and approved beforehand. 
In changing the laws about magic, the king also makes it clear that magic should not be practiced in secret any more. All sorcerers in Camelot, whether residing in the kingdom permanently or merely visiting, must declare that they are sorcerers to the king. If they have previously practiced magic in Camelot, they will not be punished; however, if they do not abide by the new laws, they will face punishment (nothing as severe as death. Cases will be decided on an individual basis.) Seems fine to me. I'm glad to see you're taking a step towards equality and toleration, whatever the reason may be." Arthur nodded. 
"What do you think, Merlin?"
"It's a good start."
"What, you think I should have written more?"
"No, no, I understand you can't let magic be freely practiced just yet."
"Why are you so eager for magic to be allowed, Merlin?" Merlin said nothing. "Never mind. Forget I said that. Anyway, I'll see you later. I have a law to pass!"

No comments:

Post a Comment