Translate

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Use The Force (or the Mind Palace): Chapter 4

Chapters: 2 3 4

(Note: this chapter, like the other chapters in the story, can be read as a standalone. It's more of a collection than a series.)

Oswin Oswald was sitting in her room, waiting for her soufflé to rise, when there was a knock on the door. There was no way she was opening it; not for one of those bloody Daleks.
"Hello?" A man's voice, hesitant. Not a Dalek, then. Clara sighed and opened the door, closing it quickly once the man was inside. She studied him, wondering how he had made it past the Daleks. By all rights, he should be dead by now. He was tall, with curly black hair and sharp cheekbones. He took a moment to look around. "This isn't my mind palace."
"It most certainly is not."
The man looked at Oswin. "Fascinating; I'm in another person's mind palace." Oswin shook her head, but the man was unfazed. "Mind if I have a look around?" Oswin thought for a moment, eyeing this strange man with suspicion.
"You could tell me your name first."
"Sherlock Holmes," the man said, shaking Oswin's hand.
"Oswin Oswald."

Sherlock nodded approvingly, and began looking around the room. "You've been here for, let me guess... a year?"
"Yes."
He nodded. "I figured as much from the way you've made yourself at home." He kept exploring and found the oven.
"No, that's..." He opened the door. "...another ruined soufflé. Thanks." Sherlock bowed his head in apology, then perked up in interest.
"Wait a minute. A soufflé?"
Oswin nodded. "Not that I'm any good," she sighed. "I keep burning them. I dropped one once, when the Daleks came."
"Daleks?"
"Yeah, big metal things that yell 'EXTERMINATE' and try to kill you?"
Sherlock shook his head. "Where do you get the milk and eggs?"
"Hm?" Oswin turned around from another soufflé that she had started to make.
"Milk and eggs are quite perishable. You can't be using the same supply you started with, and you'd have long since run out, anyway. So, you're getting a fresh supply of milk and eggs. Where?"
Oswin frowned. "I'm actually not sure." Sherlock frowned, clearly unhappy with this explanation.

"Say, Oswin, how did you survive the Daleks?"
"I ran to this room and locked myself in."
Sherlock raised his eyebrow in disbelief. "I didn't see any sort of security on that door. Well, besides a simple lock that I'm sure the Daleks could blast open easily."
"Oh," Oswin said, confused, as if she hadn't considered this before.

"And this mind palace?" Sherlock asked, gesturing to the room.
"I don't know what a mind palace is, but this certainly isn't it."
"I know a mind palace when I see it," Sherlock muttered under his breath.
"This is my home."
Sherlock paused for a moment as if considering something. "Oswin, would you like to come with me?"
"You're a complete stranger and I'm a total screaming genius. Are you out of your mind? Why should I trust you?"

Sherlock sighed. "Your name is Oswin Oswald. You traveled here as a junior entertainment officer on the starship..." he looked around, "Alaska. You have been making soufflés for a year, while the rest of your crew has gone missing, likely taken by the Daleks. You're incredibly intelligent, and you're also good with technology. You're either an extremely talented hacker, or you have some sort of back door for the technology all around you. You survived the Daleks, you have access to technology, and you make soufflés. None of it adds up.  Something is definitely wrong here, and I don't think you'll like my theory. Keeping that in mind, I suggest you come with me so that I can help you. Any questions?"
"So you're a total screaming genius, too?"
"Obviously. Now come on; we haven't got all day."

They arrived in a mansion at the top of a spiral staircase. "Now listen," Sherlock said warningly, "don't ask what happened and why things were 'wrong'. The point is, I saved you from it. Now, you are here in my mind palace, and I intend for you to work. You said you were a genius?"
"Absolutely," Oswin assured him.
"Good. I am a consulting detective, which means that I help the police  solve crimes. This mind palace is where I go to think. Usually, I need to be alone to think, but sometimes two minds are better than one. Should I require your assistance, I will visit here and call for you. You should be able to hear me."
Oswin nodded. "And my soufflés?"
"You certainly like baking soufflés. What are you, soufflé girl?"
"I've always wanted to be called that," she admitted.
"Yes, I'll get a kitchen set up so you can bake soufflés to your heart's content."
"Is that all, Mr. Holmes?"
"Please, call me Sherlock."
"Okay, Sherlock."
"To answer your question, yes, that is all. I expect to see you again."
"You, too. Thank you, Sherlock."

No comments:

Post a Comment