Translate

Monday, June 15, 2015

Kids These Days

(Heads up, this post isn't really about fandoms, sorry. But I suspect it applies to most of my readers, and I feel like it needs to be said.) I was inspired to write this post by a play I found on AO3 called "#kidsthesedays" (click here to read the play or here to go to the author's tumblr. Tell her vortexofdeduction sent you.) You should definitely read the play, but all the same, I'll give you a basic summary. The play shows that times and situations change, but one thing remains constant: parents complain about "kids these days" and their "crazy" obsessions, activism, etc. The truth is, it's not kids these days, it's kids all the time. Also, we aren't just kids, we are the people who have to live with previous generations' mistakes. We are the ones who will change the world. And it's about time we did.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am when someone criticizes me for using an iphone or going on the internet or complains about how addicted to technology "this generation" is. Technology is a great thing, and it's perfectly acceptable to use it a lot; every generation has adapted to new technology and new information, but it's the older generations who complain because they refuse to see the world as different from the way it was when they were kids. Technology is great; it's provided us with information, communication... much more than just "stupid games".

A while ago there was a photoset going around on tumblr called "#this generation". It made me angry because it's the exact argument I've just been railing against. However, tumblr responded. I now show you a combination of the originals and the responses.
This Generation: WhatsApp Vs Books

This Generation: Cyber Date, Cyber Smooch
That's just a few, but you can find more at http://ifunny.co/fun/6nBstAIp2

I don't know about you guys, but I know that I have a voice and I'm not afraid to use it. I am not just a kid. I am a strong, independent young woman who will fight for justice and equality. You can blame me, pretend I'm just a harmless little girl who cares about fandoms and spends all her time on the internet and will never do anything worthwhile, but I don't care. I exist and act regardless of your opinion. I hope each one of you is willing to stand up for yourself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment